Masala Daal the deliciously spicy and exotic flavored daal that consists several mixed spices and tempered with panch phoran tadka. Masala daal goes well with hot flatbreads or boiled rice. Hope you like this masala daal recipe as you did like my previous recipe Coconut Chicken Curry.
Ingredients For Masala Daal:-
- One Cup – Split Yellow Lentils(moong daal)
- One Cup – Split Red Lentils(masoor daal)
- One-Fourth Teaspoon – Asafoetida
- One Teaspoon – Turmeric Powder, And Red Chili Powder
- Two Tablespoons – Sunflower Cooking Oil, And Clarified Butter
- One Large Onion(finely chopped)
- One Medium Tomato (finely chopped)
- One Tablespoon – Garlic Paste
- Half Tablespoon – Ginger paste
- Two Teaspoons – Coriander Paste
- One Teaspoon – Cumin Powder, And Sambar Masala
- Seven To Eight – Curry Leaves
- One Teaspoon – Paanch Phoran
- Two Green chilies(finely chopped)
- Salt As Required
- Chopped Fresh Coriander Leaves for Garnish
- Mix the washed daals together in a pressure cooker and add enough water just to cover.
- Add the asafoetida, half teaspoon of turmeric and red chili powder and salt to taste and cover.
- Set up to cook on a medium heat. Allow one whistle, Release the pressure and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cook till you hear two more whistles. Pressure release and turn off the heat. Keep aside without opening the pressure cooker.
- Heat the sunflower cooking oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan on a medium heat.
- Now add the onions and fry till transparent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ginger and garlic pastes and fry till the tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Time to add all the spice powders-coriander powder, cumin powder, sambar masala, and the remaining half teaspoon of turmeric and red chili powders.
- Mix all the spices well and fry for five to seven minutes.
- Release the steam from it and open the pressure cooker. Add the boiled daals to the masala and mix to blend well.
- Season with salt if necessary. Cook for ten more minutes on a medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- In another small pan, heat the clarified butter till quite hot. Add the panch phoran, curry leaves, green chilies and fry for two-three minutes or till the mixture stops spluttering. Stir often.
- Turn off the heat and add this mixture to the daal. Stir Well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot masala daal with flatbread or plain rice.
- If you like this masala daal recipe share with your family and friends. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter as we are active there and also on other social media.
- Leave your feedback in the comments below. Write your own version of this recipe to us.
- Visit our website for more delicious recipes and information.