Alu Vadi or Taro root Fritters contains lots of gluten, hence we have added various ingredients to add taste and crunch to the recipe. Take equal size of Alu Vadi or colocasia root for making this recipe. It is simple and easy to make at home. Serve this recipe with tomato ketchup or dip of your choice. Also known as alu Vadi in Maharashra (India).
Ingredients for Alu Vadi or Taro root Fritters
- 250 gms colocasia root
- 2 tablespoon semolina [suji]
- and 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- for spices 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- then 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- also 1/2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- and 1/2 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper corns powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- for tangy taste 1/4 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- refined oil for shallow frying
How to make Alu Vadi
Steps for making Taro root Fritters
1. Firstly, boil and peel the taro roots and take it into a mixing bowl. Mash the roots and add red chili powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin & coriander powder, black peppercorn powder and salt.
2. Furthermore, add 1 tablespoon of semolina to the bowl and then make a dough. After this, add the freshly chopped coriander and mint leaves and make the dough again.
3. Then, make a thin flat fritter [puri] from the dough and coat them with semolina. Likewise, add some salt to the semolina when using for coating. As, it enhances the taste.
4. Moreoever, take a frying pan and pour some oil on it. After, the oil heats on medium flame then place all the Taro root fritters on the pan. Press the taro roots with a spatula so that the Taro root fritters can be cooked from inside as well.
5. After cooking the Taro root fritters from one side, turn them and repeat step 4. Switch off the flame, when the Taro root fritters turn to nice golden brown color.
Alu Vadi Nutrition
Calories : 313 grams
The delicious and less oily alu vadi or taro root fritters are ready to be served. This recipe can be served with any sauce, dip or chutney of your choice.
Love the post or tried some?