Sushi is a famous Japanese snack, where cooked rice is combined with ingredients and spread over the Nori sheet. But, we believe that making vegetarian versions of it is difficult and that the flavor is lesser to that of the non-vegetarian version. But never believe that!
Try this recipe for Vegetarian Sushi, it’s really good. With only a few basic ingredients and a delicious flavor, this recipe for easy Vegetable Sushi is ideal for beginners.
Good thing about this recipe is that making your own sushi allows you to customize the fillings to suit your tastes. Since it’s made freshly at home, you can also consume as much as you like.
So let’s see how to prepare this vegetarian sushi.
- Cut the mushrooms into thin strips and sauté them in a small amount of oil for two minutes.
- Clean the remaining veggies and slice them into thin strips without removing the skin. Add the salt and well combine.
- Rinse and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Apart from the arrangement shown above, all you want is a sushi mat as sushi is generally prepared with rolling on a sushi mat. However, with slight pressure, you can still adjust and roll without mat.
How to cook sushi rice
- Wash rice in running water until the water is clear.
- Soak rice in water for 30 minutes and drain after that.
- Put the rice in the rice cooker with twice as much water.
- If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can cook rice in any pan you like as long as it’s cooked through.
- Meanwhile, quickly combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt and stir until the sugar and salt are all dissolved.
- In a big bowl, combine it with the cooked hot rice and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Give the rice thirty minutes to cool.
- When everything is prepared It’s time to put the sushi together !
Easy Vegetarian Sushi Roll
- 2 Nori Sheets
- 1 cup Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Mushrooms- 1/2 cup
- Carrot slices – 1
- Cucumber- 1
- Bell pepper – any color 1
- Rice vinegar ½ cup
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Salt – as per needed
- Place the nori sheet on the cutting board or other level surface.
- Add two tablespoons of rice across the top of the sheet.
- Using a wet spoon or your hands, flatten the rice into a thin layer. Avoid filling in the edges.
- Stack the veggies in a single row. Avoid squeezing it.
- Now, gently use any sheet or sushi mat. Roll it out now. Press gently to make the roll tighter.
- First, cut the roll in half using a sharp knife. When cutting, don’t apply pressure to the knife. Slice them gently.
- Now sushi is ready to be served !!
Accompany your sushi with wasabi, sushi ginger, and soy sauce.
The raw sushi rolls keep well in the refrigerator for up to a day when wrapped in renewing foil.
Other Vegetables You Can Use
Try to use any interesting vegetables that you prefer for salads and soups . Vegetables like Avocado, Green onions, Bell peppers, Sprouts Asparagus, Lettuce, Tomato, Radish would really go well with sushi.
Fillings Options for sushi
Here is a list of ways to fill your sushi
Potatoes ,Tofu, tempeh, sesame seeds, pickled onions, jalapeno etc..
Slice the above ingredients into thin strips, and then sauté it in just a little bit of oil before adding it to the recipe.
What to use instead of Nori?
For sushi, usually nori sheets are used. You can also use rice paper, soy wrap , lettuce instead of nori sheets. But do try it with nori sheet for the authentic taste and reap its ample health benefits.
Dips for sushi
Sushi is typically served with wasabi sauce, however you can try other flavors with few other dips here
- Soy sauce
- Chili garlic sauce
- Tahini sauce
- Tamari mixed with wasabi paste
- Pickled Ginger
- Vegan teriyaki sauce
- Peanut sauce
- Vegan cilantro Cream cheese
- sauteed onion & garlic with soy sauce/Tamari