Eggplants provide very little nutrition, but are among our most versatile vegetables and a component of many popular ethnic dishes, including indian curries, Middle Eastern baba ghanishth, and French ratatouille.
- 3 medium eggplant
- One teaspoon – cumin seeds roasted
- One pinch – salt
- Four and a half tablespoons – olive oil
- 100 gram – quinoa
- One small onion chopped
- One teaspoon – ginger-garlic past
- one fourth teaspoon – turmeric
- One fourth teaspoon – chilli powder
- 100 gram – paneer, grated
- One teaspoon – garam masala
- One fourth bunch – coriander leaves, chopped
- One dash of vegetable oil
- One teaspoon – salt
- One beetroot, coarselygrated
- Two carrots, coarsely grated
- One red bell pepper, small cuts.
- Wash and cook the quinoa as per packet instructions, using water or stock. Drain and keep aside.
- Mix three and a half teaspoons of olive oil, toasted cumin and salt in a bowl.
- Trim the eggplant and sliced lenghtways in a 4mm thick slices. Brush the slices generously with the oil marinade.
- Place a large pan over a medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, fry the egg plant slices for approximately 2-3minutes each side until soft and colored.
- Once all the eggplant slices are cooked, keep aside on kitchen towel to drain.
- For the paneer and quinoa filling, placing a non-stick pan over a medium heat and add vegetable oil. Once hot, add the onion and saute until a light golden brown color.
- Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric, salt, and chilli powder and saute for a further two minutes.
- Add the cooked quinoa and cook fir a further 5-7 minutes, then add the grated paneer and remove from the heat.
- Finish with garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.
- Lay out the eggplant slices on a chopping board. Spread a generous amount of the filling on top of each and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Roll up each slice to enclose the filing.
- Place the eggplant rolls on the plate and serve immediately.
Eggplants are members of the nightshade family, which also includes tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers. Some have a bitter flavour, which easily can be eliminated with salt before cooking. Slice or cube the eggplant, then sprinkle it with salt. The tastiest eggplants are firm, with thin skins and a mild flavour. Larger ones are more likely to be seedy, tough, and bitter. Their skins range in color from deep purple to light violet and white.
- Low in calories(unless cooked in fat)
- Meaty flavor and texture lends itself to vegetarian dishes.
- Provide minimal nutrients.