Fond of momos? That too in a healthy way? This recipe is for you. We all like momos but we are hesitant to try them because of the exterior wrapping with all purpose flour preparation. This recipe is a surprise healthy twist for all those momo lovers ! Try these delicious and healthy momo recipes made with a cabbage leaf. Because of their nature, cabbage leaves take on the shape of a momo cover and complement the fillings with a pleasant flavor.
These steamed cabbage momos are a great way to avoid refined flour and easily made at home .You can enjoy momos without feeling guilty about getting excess calories. Let’s get started!
Healthy Cabbage Momos – Guilt Free !!
- Cabbage leaves – 5
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Carrots & beans chopped – ½ cup
- Spring onions – ½ cup
- Minced ginger garlic- 1 tbsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce- 2 tbsp
Preparing cabbage momos
- Wash and trim the thick stems of cabbage cups. Blanch in hot water for 15 seconds.
- Blanch till it is soft and drain on a plate or a towel.
- To a pan, add 1 tsp of oil.
- Once heated add minced ginger garlic.
- Thereafter add chopped beans, spring onion and carrots one by one
- Saute everything well in low flame.
- Now, add salt, pepper, red chili powder, soya sauce and vinegar.
- Mix nicely and switch off the flame.
Assembling the momos
- Place vegetable mixture in the center.
- to each blanched cabbage leaf.
- Keep your steamer preheated ready.
- Start folding the stem side towards the top, and wrap it.
- Place the wrapped cabbage rolls on the steamer
- Steam the prepared momos for 10 mins.
- Turn the rolls to alternate side once, to steam properly on both the sides.
How to serve
After the rolls are steamed, serve them hot with a dip of your choice.
Here are some combinations you can try
- Regular ketchup
- Manchurian sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- soy sauce
Serve it with this green chutney dip for a different touch.
Tips on making perfect momos
- You can make wraps with violet cabbage. Choose cabbage that has tender leaves if it’s hard then allow it to steam for some more time.
- If Chinese cabbage is available in your place you can try it because it is easy to fold them.
- You can try stuffing a variety of vegetables like zucchini, capsicum etc..
- And for some protein non veg fillings you can add boiled boneless chicken, fish and for vegetarians you can put up some boiled beans, potatoes, tofu, mushrooms etc.
- You can also add boiled sticky rice to give an authentic Chinese touch.
Be it kids or adults, everyone loves momos ! but this unique and tempting cabbage momos must try healthy alternatives . Also, don’t forget pair up these momos with a dip of your choice on the side to make them a wholesome meal. Do try this recipe and let us know how it turned out in the comments . Happy cooking !