Hello friends, we are now happy to kick start the ultimate cooking extravaganza after buying beautiful cooking utensils. Easy kitchen setup and easy to use kitchen utensils enhance the beauty of cooking. this series is dedicated to all the bachelors and also for those who are taking their first step in house’s most beautiful arena named kitchen.
Recipe I: Easy to Make Breakfast
So, let us start the week by cooking simple and delicious breakfast. Learn cooking step by step and the first thing that we are going to cook is a simple mashed potatoes recipe.
Here, is the list of things required for making this recipe.
Kitchen Utensils: Peeler, Fork, Colander, Smasher, Saucepan or a pressure cooker.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Serving: 3-4 people
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 100 gms butter
- 1cup milk
- salt to taste
- spring onions
- Wash and run the potatoes under running water to remove soil from the potato peel. Now, take the peeler to take-off the potato skin. You can also make this recipe without peeling potatoes. As the potato peels contain vitamin b3 and potassium which helps the body to convert food into usable fuel.
- Cut the potatoes into equal sized cubes and rinse again. This will retain moisture in potatoes. Fill the saucepan full with water and add salt. Switch the gas and boil potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and tab potatoes with a fork to check whether they get mashed or not. If not then boil them for few more minutes.
- Those boiling potatoes in pressure cooker should add water till half. Add salt and pressure the potatoes for 4-5 whistles.
- Turn down the boiled into a colander and let them cool.
- Now, put the boiled potatoes into a saucepan and mash them with the help of a potato smasher. Add few cubes of butter that is kept at room temperature. Mix them well with the smasher.
- Again add few more cubes of butter and repeat the process.
- Now, add 1 tablespoon of milk that is kept at room temperature post boiling. Never use cold milk in this recipe.
- Add more few more tablespoon of milk and bring the mashed potatoes mix till a soggy soft texture is met. To make the mashed potatoes recipe more creamy you can add more butter. But, 6 cubes of butter is enough for 3 medium sized potatoes.
- Add a little bit of salt to salt at the end but make sure you taste it before adding salt as excess salt can turn the mashed potatoes recipe sour.
- Garnish with the finely sliced green portion of spring onion.
Tricks to Buy Potatoes
- Check the potatoes for stains or cut marks. Also, buy equal sized potatoes.
- Buy waxy potatoes as they are new. Waxy potatoes are identified by their thin and peel. Also, these potatoes have reddish or light brown colored skin. These potatoes contain less starch and have a creamy texture. These are best for boiling and roasting. Potato salad made from these potatoes taste delicious.
- Another type of potatoes is starchy. These potatoes contain less moisture and are high on starch. These potatoes are best for baking and frying. The hard bit hard.
- The third type of potatoes is all purpose. These have medium starch content and falls in between the above-mentioned potato types. These are best for all purpose cooking.