You have some idea about French Macaroons ? How about Tuticorin macaroons. Originating from the southern city of India named Tuticorin or Thoothukudi , these macaroons are an Indian take on the classic European treat. It is a century-old recipe traditionally made with just egg whites .
Journey of Thoothukudi Macaroons
It all started when Portuguese brought this recipe into Sri Lanka and slowly moved into Thoothukudi , a port city located at the southern part of India. The traditional European recipe had almonds in place of cashews. But it was later replaced with native variety of cashews that were sourced at Thoothukudi .
These Indian cashew macaroons have a crispy exterior, are sweet, fluffy, and light in texture filled with cashew flavors. The mixture of additional ingredients and cashews makes this macaroons extremely delicious and it is made easily with all accessible ingredient at home.
However, both the taste and the skill of making these macaroons are exceptional one. You can check more cashew recipes at gofooddy.
Let’s look at how to prepare these scrumptious and irresistible . Thoothukudi macaroons now!
Yummy Cashew Macaroons – Just 3 Ingredients !
- Baking tray
- Pipping bag
- Electric or hand beater
- Egg White – 2
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cashew – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Measure the cashews first and grind them into a coarse powder, and set them aside.
- Next, divide the egg whites and yolks.
- Meanwhile, get the piping bag ready and the baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Set the oven temperature to 210 degrees Fahrenheit, or 100 degrees Celsius.
- To make macaroons, measure out the sugar, then add it to the egg whites.
- Whisk the egg whites while gradually adding the sugar, rather than adding it all at once.
- Continue to whisk until the consistency reaches a stiff peak. It will take approximately 15 minutes to get this .
- Mix the vanilla extract and cashew powder.
- After thoroughly mixing, pour it into the piping bag.
- The batter can be piped into tiny circles or cone shape .
- Once done, place it in the preheated oven and bake it for 1 hr. 30 mins.
- When fully baked, it comes off the parchment sheet easily and the bottom turns crisp with slight color change.
The color of the baked goodies should be cream white or white . Do not bake till it turns brown.
Tips for best macaroons
Because this recipe is entirely composed of egg whites, don’t worry at all that it will smell “eggy.” All of this only occurs when you use more eggs than is recommended.
If you’re running out of natural vanilla, you can also go for regular vanilla essence . I used my all time favorite vanilla extract.
Use an electric whiskif you have one; this makes the beating process very easy.
To add flavor, feel free to add rose essence or any other flavoring.
You can use coconut sugar or palm sugar in place of other sugars.
While pipping , make them as round spiral circles or buttons . This results with cute cone shaped macaroons after done !
Allow cashew macaroons to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. At room temperature, it keeps well for a week.
It is important to beat the egg white until a firm peak forms. Like shown in the below pic
After that, avoid vigorously mixing the egg whites because they will become less creamy.
The piping portion requires some practice and might be challenging for beginners. When you are satisfied with the height of the macaroons, you should pipe with consistent pressure and slowly raise your piping bag.
So, why are you waiting for ? Do try and feel these crunchy textured macaroons that give way to a spongy, melt-in-your-mouth feel as each bite transports you to a flavorful, nutty world. Don’t forget to share your experience !!